Freestone County Courthouse
Fairfield, Texas
 
 
     
 
 
 Completed - 1919
Architect - W.R. Kaufman
Photos: Robert Deering 1/29/2004
 

COUNTY ORGANIZED: 1851

COUNTY NAMED FOR: The native stone found in the area.

COUNTY SEATS: One - Mound Prairie, which was renamed Fairfield.

COUNTY SEAT NAMED FOR: Fairfield, Alabama, the original home of early settlers.

COURTHOUSES: Four - 1852, 1856, 1892, and 1919.

STANDING: One -1919 Classical Revival building built of brick, plus at least three annex buildings near by. 

NOTE: This building is very similar to the Dallam County Courthouse in Dalhart by Smith & Townes, and the Lynn County Courthouse in Tahoka by W. C. Rice.

 
 

1919 Courthouse
Photo: Texas DotT 1939
 
 
1919 Courthouse
Photo: Robert Deering 1974
 
 
 
 
 
 



Freestone County Sheriff & Jail

Freestone County Annex Building

Freestone County Annex Building