Franklin County Courthouse
Mount Vernon, Texas
 
 
     
 
 
 Completed - 1912
Architect - L. L. Thurman
Photos: Robert Deering 8/30/2001
 

COUNTY ORGANIZED: 1875

COUNTY NAMED FOR: Benjamin Cromwell Franklin, the first Judge of the Republic of Texas.

COUNTY SEATS: One - Mount Vernon.

COUNTY SEAT NAMED FOR: Originally named Lone Star, the town was renamed Mount Vernon in honor of George Washington`s home.

COURTHOUSES: Two - 1875 and 1912.

STANDING: One -1912 Classical Revival courthouse.

RENOVATION: Complete - Rededication September 20, 2014

 
 

1912 Courthouse
Photo: Texas DoT 1939
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 



Franklin County Jail