COUNTY ORGANIZED: 1888
COUNTY NAMED FOR: Confederate general
Thomas J. (Stonewall) Jackson.
COUNTY SEATS: Two - Rayner and
COUNTY SEAT NAMED FOR: Aspermont is a Latin name for "rough mountain."
COURTHOUSES: Five -1889 and 1891 in Rayner; 1900,
1911, and 1983 in Aspermont.
STANDING: Two -
- 1891 courthouse in the former town site of Rayner is built of stone. The building sits on private property and has been used as a residence, but it is now boarded up and appears to be abandonded. NOTE:
is similar to the
County Courthouse in Throckmorton, also by Martin, Byrne, & Johnston.
- 1984 Modern courthouse in Aspermont is built of brick.