Sterling County Courthouse
Sterling City, Texas
 
 
     
 
 
 Completed - 1938
Architect - David S. Castle
Photos: Robert Deering 6/12/2004
 

COUNTY ORGANIZED: 1891

COUNTY NAMED FOR: W. S. Sterling, a buffalo hunter, rancher, and Indian fighter who may have been the first permanent settler in the area.

COUNTY SEATS: One - Sterling City

COUNTY SEAT NAMED FOR: Same as the county.

COURTHOUSES: Three - 1891, 1905, and 1938

STANDING: 1938 Texas Renissance brick building with some Art Deco elements.

 
 

1905 Couthouse
 

1938 Courthouse
Photo: Texas DoT 1939
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 



1912 Sterling County Jail