COUNTY ORGANIZED: 1848
COUNTY NAMED FOR: John Coffee Hays, a famous Texas Ranger.
COUNTY SEAT NAMED FOR: San Marcos is the abbreviated version of Villa de San Marcos de Neve, a name first given to the river by an early Spanish expedition.
Four - 1861, 1869, 1882, and 1908.
STANDING: One -1908 Beaux-Arts style courthouse built of brick and limestone.
NOTE: This building is very
similar to the Fort Bend
County Courthouse in Richmond,
also by C. H. Page & Brother.