Fort Bend County Courthouse
Richmond, Texas
 
 
     
 
 
 Completed - 1908
Architect - C.H. Page & Brother
Photos: Robert Deering 9/12/2002
 

COUNTY ORGANIZED: 1837

COUNTY NAMED FOR: In 1822 a group of colonists traveled inland about ninety miles from the mouth of the Brazos River and built a two-room cabin on a bluff near a deep bend in the river. As the settlement grew, the cabin became known as both Fort Settlement and Fort Bend; the latter name prevailed.

COUNTY SEATS: One - Richmond.

COUNTY SEAT NAMED FOR: Richmond, England

COURTHOUSES: Four - 1842, 1871, 1887, 1908.

STANDING: One - 1908 Beaux-Arts courthouse built of brick, plus annex buildings nearby. 

NOTE: This building is very similar to the Hays County Courthouse in San Marcos, also by C. H. Page & Brother.

 
 

1908 Courthouse
Photo: Texas DoT 1939
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 


 
1979 Annex Building

1988 Annex Building