COUNTY ORGANIZED: 1891
COUNTY NAMED FOR: Robert Levi Foard, an attorney and soldier.
COUNTY SEAT NAMED FOR: George T. Crowell, owner of the townsite.
Two - 1891 and 1910
STANDING: One -1910 courthouse built of brick and stone. Originally a Classical Revial structure, the building was badly damaged by a tornado in 1942 losing the clock tower and other distinguising features. It was remodeled into a Texas Renaissance appearance.