COUNTY ORGANIZED: 1848
COUNTY NAMED FOR: Probably in honor of
Mathew Caldwell, a signer of the Texas Declaration of Independence.
COUNTY SEATS: One -
COUNTY SEAT NAMED FOR: Byrd Lockhart, who in 1831 received the land that later became the Lockhart townsite as partial payment for his surveying work for the Mexican government.
COURTHOUSES: Three - 1848, 1858, and 1894
STANDING: One - 1894 Second Empire courthouse built of blue limestone and trimmed with Pecos red sandstone.
NOTE: This building is very
similar to the Goliad County Courthouse in Goliad,
also by Alfred Giles.
San Jacinto, Lockhart, Texas