COUNTY ORGANIZED: 1846
COUNTY NAMED FOR: John C. Calhoun of South Carolina, who had advocated Texas statehood.
COUNTY SEATS: Two - La Vaca (Port Lavaca),
Indianola, and back to Port Lavaca.
COUNTY SEAT NAMED FOR:
The town was orignally named La Vaca ("the cow") in 1841 and was laid out by 1842. The name evolved to Port Lavaca around 1887.
COURTHOUSES: Five - Indianola in 1857; Port Lavaca in 1846,
1887, 1911, and 1959.
STANDING: One - 1959 Modern courthouse built of concrete, steel, and aluminum.