Goliad County Courthouse
Goliad, Texas
 
 
     
 
 
 Completed - 1894
Architect - Alfred Giles
Photos: Robert Deering 9/4/2005
 

COUNTY ORGANIZED: 1837

COUNTY NAMED FOR: The vast Mexican Municipality of Goliad. Goliad is an anagram of the surname of Miguel Hidalgo y Costilla, the "Goliath" revolutionary in the Mexican War of Independence.

COUNTY SEATS: One - Goliad.

COUNTY SEAT NAMED FOR: Same as the county.

COURTHOUSES: Four - 1847, 1855, 187?, and 1894.

STANDING: One -1894 Second Empire courthouse built of brick and stone. A hurricane in 1942 destroyed the clock tower and other elements, which were not replaced until a building rennovation in 2002-2003. 

RENOVATION: Complete - Rededication December 4, 2003.

NOTE: This building is very similar to the Caldwell County Courthouse in Lockhart, also by Alfred Giles.

ADDRESS:  407 S Market Street, Goliad, Texas

 
 

1894 Courthouse
Photo: Texas DoT 1939
 

1894 Courthouse Before Restoration
Photo: Robert Deering 9/13/2002