COUNTY ORGANIZED: 1837
COUNTY NAMED FOR: George Washington, the first president of the United States.
COUNTY SEATS: Three -
Mount Vernon, and
COUNTY SEAT NAMED FOR: The Hickory Grove community changed its name in 1843 to Brenham in honor of Republic of Texas hero
Dr. Richard Fox Brenham, who had practiced medicine in the vicinity.
COURTHOUSES: Four - 1844, 1852,
1883, and 1940.
STANDING: One -1940 Moderne-style limestone building.