COUNTY ORGANIZED: 1873
COUNTY NAMED FOR: Edwin Waller, an early settler in the area and signer of the Texas Declaration of Independence.
COUNTY SEATS: One -
COUNTY SEAT NAMED FOR:
Dr. Richard Rodgers Peebles, one of the founders of the townsite, named the town for his brother-in-law, Dr. G. S. B. Hempstead of Portsmouth, Ohio.
COURTHOUSES: Three -1877,
1894, and 1955.
STANDING: One - 1955 Modern courthouse built of brick and limestone.