COUNTY ORGANIZED: 1876
COUNTY NAMED FOR: Alexander H. Stephens, the vice president of the Confederate States of America.
COUNTY SEATS: One -
COUNTY SEAT NAMED FOR:
John C. Breckinridge, United States senator from Kentucky and vice president, although the spelling of the name was altered.
COURTHOUSES: Three - 1876, 1883, 1926.
STANDING: One - 1926 Classical Revival limestone courthouse. The doorway of the 1883 courthouse also survives on the courthouse grounds.