COUNTY NAMED FOR: General Alexander Somervell, Texas soldier, colonist, and statesman.
COUNTY SEATS: One -
COUNTY SEAT NAMED FOR: The town was first known as Bernard's Mill. It was later decided to rename the town to reflect its natural surroundings. A native of Scotland suggested Rose Glen. However, at a town meeting in 1872 residents agreed on the name Glen Rose.
COURTHOUSES: Four - 187?, 187?,
1882, 1893. County court was first held in an old store across from Barnard`s Mill. A log cabin was used later. A third courthouse was completed in 1882, but burned in 1893 along with many valuable records. Current courthouse has a fireproof vault.
STANDING: One - 1893 Romanesque Revival courthouse that originally had Second Empire influences.
A restoration project was completed in1987.