COUNTY NAMED FOR: Gen. James Smith, a hero of the Texas Revolution and a prominent military figure in the Republic of Texas.
COUNTY SEATS: One -
COUNTY NAMED FOR:
President John Tyler in recognition of his support for admitting Texas to the United States.
COUTHOUSES: Five - 1846, 1848, 1851,
1910, and 1955.
STANDING: One - 1955 Modern courthouse built of concrete, brick, and stone.