San Augustine County Courthouse
San Augustine, Texas
 
 
     
 
 
 Completed - 1927
Architect - Shirley Simons
Photos: Robert Deering 8/31/2001
 

COUNTY ORGANIZED: 1837

COUNTY NAMED FOR: The municipality of San Augustine was established by Mexican law in 1833. The name was chosen by Mexican officials, supposedly to honor St. Augustine of Hippo.

COUNTY SEATS: One - San Augustine

COUNTY SEAT NAMED FOR: Same as county

COURTHOUSES: Three - 1840, 1855, 1927.

STANDING: One - 1927 Classical Revival courthouse built of limestone and concrete.

RENOVATION: Complete - Rededication November 20, 2010.

 
 

1927 Courthouse
Photo: Texas DoT 1939