COUNTY ORGANIZED: 1837
COUNTY NAMED FOR: The Sabine River
COUNTY SEATS: Two -
COUNTY SEAT NAMED FOR: John Hemphill, a former Texas Supreme Court justice, who at the time was serving as a United States senator.
COURTHOUSES: At least four courthouses, but fire destroyed all records prior to 1875.
STANDING: One - 1906 courthouse which was originally Beaux-Arts styled building. A fire in 1909 partially destroyed the building, and when it was rebuilt the dome and clock tower were omitted.