COUNTY ORGANIZED: 1870
COUNTY NAMED FOR: Emory Rains, an early pioneer who had served in the Congress of the Republic of Texas.
COUNTY SEATS: One - Emory
COUNTY SEAT NAMED FOR: Same as the county.
COURTHOUSES: Three - 1872, 1884, 1908.
STANDING: One - 1908 Texas Renaissance courthouse built of brick and concrete.
RENOVATION: Complete -
Rededication October 17, 2010