COUNTY ORGANIZED: 1889
COUNTY NAMED FOR: Horace Randal, Confederate brigadier general killed at the battle of Jenkins' Ferry, Arkansas, in 1864; a clerical error doubled the l in the name.
COUNTY SEATS: One - Canyon City renamed
COUNTY SEAT NAMED FOR: Palo Duro Canyon located nearby
COURTHOUSES: Three- 1892,
1908, and a new building, date unknown.
STANDING: Two -
- 1908 Texas Renaissance building and the new Modern courthouse located nearby. The 1908 building originally had a tower, which was removed in a 1945 remodeling. There are 1957 and 1968 annexes of north and south of the 1908 structure,
and another annex located across the street.
(See Rennovation Note Below)
- A former Walmart store has been
converted into a new courthouse (Justice Center) on Highway
87 at Long Boulevard.
RENNOVATION: Complete -
Rededication October 12, 2010. The 1957
and 1968 annexs connected to the 1908 courthouse
have been removed and the exterior of the courthouse
has been completely restored, including the clock
tower. However, the interior is still waiting
New Courthouse -
2309 Russell Long Blvd, Canyon, TX; 1908 Courthouse
- 401 15th ST, Canyon, TX