COUNTY ORGANIZED: 1875
COUNTY NAMED FOR: The ancient border settlement of
Presidio del Norte.
COUNTY SEATS: Two -
Fort Davis and
Marfa. In 1887 Fort Davis became the seat of
Jeff Davis County, which was established from Presidio County lands.
COUNTY SEAT NAMED FOR: Reportedly, the wife of a railroad executive suggested the name Marfa from Fyodor Dostoyevsky's The Brothers Karamazov, which she was reading at the time.
COURTHOUSES: One - 1886
STANDING: One - 1886 Second Empire courthouse built of brick and stone.
RENOVATION: Complete -
Rededication January 5, 2002.
ADDRESS: 310 Highland
Street, Marfa, Texas