Potter County Courthouse
Amarillo, Texas
 
 
     
 
 Completed - 1986
Architect - Hucker & Parge and Ward-Brown Associates
Photos: Robert Deering 4/14/2003
 

COUNTY ORGANIZED: 1887

COUNTY NAMED FOR: Robert Potter, legislator, cabinet member, and signer of the Texas Declaration of Independence.

COUNTY SEATS: One - Oneida, renamed Amarillo after the nearby lake and creek.

COUNTY SEAT NAMED FOR: The lake and creek had been named by New Mexican traders and pastores, probably for the yellow soil along the creek banks or the yellow wildflowers that were abundant during the spring and summer.

COURTHOUSES: Six - 1883, 1904, 1932, 1986. Other dates are unknown.

STANDING: Two -

  • 1932 Moderne building made of terr-cotta and concrete
  • 1986 Modern courthouse.
 
 
 
1883 Courthouse
 
 
1931 Courthouse
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

 

Potter County Courthouse
Amarillo, Texas

 
Completed - 1931
Architect - Townes, Lightfoot, & Funk
Photo: Robert Deering 4/14/2003

RENOVATION: Complete - Rededication August 18, 2012.



1931 Courthouse
Photo: Texas DoT 1939

 

Amarillo, Texas
Photos: Robert Deering 4/14/2003

 
1914 Post Office in Amarillo
Supervising Architect - Oscar Wenderoth
 
1937 Post Office in Amarillo
Supervising Architect - Wyatt C. Hedrick