Nueces County Courthouse
Corpus Christi, Texas
 
 
     
 
 
 Completed - 1977
Architect - Smyth & Smyth - Kipp & Winston - Wisznia & Peterson - Bennett, Martin & Solka
Photos: Robert Deering 6/27/2015
 

COUNTY ORGANIZED: 1846

COUNTY NAMED FOR: Nueces is a Spanish word that means nuts and refers to the native pecan trees found by early explorers.

COUNTY SEATS: One - Corpus Christi

COUNTY SEAT NAMED FOR: Corpus Christi means the body of Christ and was named for the festival day on which the bay was discovered.

COURTHOUSES: Five -184?, 1856, 1877, 1914, and 1977.

STANDING: Two -

  • 1914 Neo-Classical building. Additions were completed in 1930, 1965, and 1970.  It has been vacant since 1977 and is in very poor condition.
  • 1977 Modern courthouse.
 
 
 

1914 Courthouse
 
 
 
 
 
 

   


Corpus Christi, Texas
From the Deck of the USS Lexington
Photo: Robert Deering 6/27/2015

 

Nueces County Courthouse
Corpus Christi, Texas

 
 Completed - 1914
Architect - Harvey L. Page
Photos: Robert Deering 6/27/2015


 
1914 Courthouse
Photo: Texas DoT 1939