Montgomery County Courthouse
Conroe, Texas
 
 
     
 
 
 Completed - 1936
Architect -  Joseph Finger
Photos: Robert Deering 1/29/2004

COUNTY ORGANIZED: 1837

COUNTY NAMED FOR: The town of Montgomery, the largest settlement in the area, which was named for its founder Andrew Montgomery.

COUNTY SEATS: Two - Montgomery and Conroe

COUNTY SEAT NAMED FOR: Isaac Conroe, an early settler in the area and founder of the community.

COURTHOUSES: Five - 1838, 1842, 1855, 1891, and 1936. The first courthouse was a two-room log structure. It was replaced in 1842 by a two-story building of hand-hewn lumber, and in 1855 a large Greek Revival-style brick courthouse was completed.

STANDING: One - 1936 Modern courthouse built of limestone, which has been surrounded by a 1965 addition. A second floor to the addition was added sometime after 1974 (see photos).

 
 

1891 Courthouse

1936 Courthouse
Photo: Texas DoT 1939
 
 
1936 Courthouse with 1965 Addition
Photo: Robert Deering 1974
 


 
Courthouse Annex
 
Courthouse Annex