Montague County Courthouse
Montague, Texas
 
 
     
 
 
 Completed - 1912
Architect - George Burnett
Photos: Robert Deering 7/8/2016

COUNTY ORGANIZED: 1858

COUNTY NAMED FOR: Daniel Montague, surveyor of the Fannin Land District and veteran of the Mexican War.

COUNTY SEATS: One - Montague

COUNTY SEAT NAMED FOR: Same as the county.

COURTHOUSES:  Five: the log courthouse (1858), the frame courthouse (c1859), the stone courthouse with a center dome (1879), the stone courthouse with a clock tower that was later removed (c1885), and the present courthouse (1912)

STANDING: One -1912 Texas Renaissance courthouse built of brick. The dome was removed in 1939 after it was damaged in a storm.

 
 

1885 Courthouse
 

1912 Courthouse Before Modifications
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

         
     

 
 
1927 Montague County Jail Courthouse Annex

 
Courthouse Square