Maverick County Courthouse
Eagle Pass, Texas
 
 
     
 
 Completed - 1979
Architect - Bilby & Associates
Photos: Robert Deering 9/3/2005
 

COUNTY ORGANIZED: 1871

COUNTY NAMED FOR: Samuel A. Maverick, land baron and legislator.

COUNTY SEATS: One -Eagle Pass

COUNTY SEAT NAMED FOR: A settlement known as El Paso del Águila grew from a river crossing on the Rio Grande. It was so named because of frequent flights of Mexican eagles from the wooded grove along the Escondido. The village changed its name to Eagle Pass as the Anglo presence grew.

COURTHOUSES: Two - 1885 and 1979

STANDING: Two -

  1. 1885 Romanesque Revival courthouse built of brick and stone
  2. 1979 Modern courthouse.

ADDRESS:  520 Quarry Street, Eagle Pass, Texas

 
 
 
1885 Courthouse
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

 

Maverick County Courthouse
Eagle Pass, Texas

 
 Completed - 1885
Architect - Wahrenberger & Beckman
Photos: Robert Deering 9/3/2005

RENOVATION: 1885 Builing Complete - Rededication October 13, 2005

ADDRESS:
 500 Main Street, Eagle Pass, TX


 
1885 Maverick County Jail

 

Eagle Pass, Texas
Photo: Robert Deering 9/3/2005

 
1912 Post Office of Eagle Pass
Supervising Architect - James K. Taylor
Now Serves as a Public Library