Matagorda County Courthouse
Bay City, Texas
 
 
     
 
 
 Completed - 1965
Architect - Rustay, Martin, & Vale
Photos: Robert Deering 1/27/2004
 

COUNTY ORGANIZED: 1836

COUNTY NAMED FOR: Mata and gorda are two Spanish words meaning fat or thick plant, shrub, or plant growth, and had reference to canebrakes encountered by early colonists.

COUNTY SEATS: Two - Matagorda and Bay City

COUNTY SEAT NAMED FOR: The community is named for its location on Bay Prairie, between the richly productive bottomlands of the Colorado River and Caney Creek.

COURTHOUSES: Four - 1849, 1895, 1928, and 1965.

STANDING: One -1965 Modern reinforced concrete structure.

 
 
 
1895 Courthouse
 
1928 Courthouse
Photo: Texas DoT 1939
 
1965 Courthouse
Photo: Robert Deering 1975