COUNTY ORGANIZED: 1858
COUNTY NAMED FOR: Fort Mason, which was most likely named either for Lt. George T. Mason, who was killed at Brownsville during the Mexican War, or for Gen. Richard Barnes Mason, who died only a year before the fort was established.
COUNTY SEATS: One -
COUNTY SEAT NAMED FOR: Same as county
COURTHOUSES: Three - 1872, 1877, and 1909
STANDING: One - 1909 Classical Revival courthouse built of sandstone.