COUNTY ORGANIZED: 1884
COUNTY NAMED FOR: Wylie Martin, one of Stephen F. Austin's Old Three Hundred colonists.
COUNTY SEATS: One -
Stanton. The town was orginally called Grelton and was know as Marienfeld (German for "Field of Mary") at the time the county was organized. The name was changed to Stanton in 1890.
COUNTY SEAT NAMED FOR: Edwin McMasters Stanton, a Supreme Court justice and secretary of war under President Lincoln.
COURTHOUSES: Three - 1886,
1908, and 1975
STANDING: One - 1975 Modern courthouse built of concrete. Cell blocks of the 1908 jail that were orginally part of the 1886 courthouse still stand. A gazebo made from columns and the dome of the 1908 courthouse are also on the grounds.
S St Peter St, Stanton, TX