COUNTY ORGANIZED: 1853
COUNTY NAMED FOR: Dr. George Washington Hill, who had served as President Sam Houston's secretary of war and who had been elected to the state legislature from Navarro County in 1851.
COUNTY SEAT NAMED FOR: Same as county.
Three - 1854, 1874, and 1890
STANDING: One -1890 Second Empire style courthouse built of limestone. The building was destroyed by fire in 1993
leaving only the exterior walls standing, but was completely restored in 1999.