COUNTY ORGANIZED: 1852
COUNTY NAMED FOR: Miguel Hidalgo y Costilla, leader of the independence movement in Mexico.
Two - Edinburg (name changed to Hildago) and Chapin (name changed to
Edinburg). Hildago was known variously as La Habitación, as Rancho San Luis, and as San Luisito. In 1852 John Young, a native Scotsman, settled in the area and renamed the town Edinburgh. It became the county seat. A post office was established there in 1876, and in 1885 the office name was changed to Hidalgo. In 1908 the county seat was moved to Chapin, which was then renamed Edinburg.
COUNTY SEAT NAMED FOR: Edinburg, Scotland
Three - 1886 in Hidalgo; 1908 and 1954 in Edinburg.
STANDING: Two -
- 1886 Neoclassical brick courthouse in Hidalgo.
This building was
originally a two story
structure, but its cupola roof
and second floor were destroyed
by a fire in the early 20th
century. It was
reconfigured into a one story
Modern style courthouse built of
stone and marble in Edinburg.
100 E Cano, Edinberg, Texas