COUNTY ORGANIZED: 1846
COUNTY NAMED FOR: James Pinckney Henderson, first governor of the state of Texas.
Three - Centerville, Buffalo, and
COUNTY SEAT NAMED FOR: The name was suggested by Dulcina A. Holland (later Mrs. Dull Avriett), who hoped the town would be a center of learning.
Four - 1850, 1860, 1887, and 1913. The first courthouse cost the county fifty dollars. By 1855 the courthouse had been sold and the proceeds were to be used to build a jail. The second county courthouse, a two-story, wooden, weather-boarded structure with four brick chimneys, was completed in 1860 and sat in the center of the square until it burned in 1885.
-1913 Classical Revival syle building of brick and