COUNTY ORGANIZED: 1891
COUNTY NAMED FOR: Rufus K. and
Oliver C. Hartley.
Two - Hartley and
COUNTY SEAT NAMED FOR: The town derived its original name, Rivers, from George Channing Rivers, paymaster of the railroad when it built through the county in the spring of 1888. Since the name Rivers duplicated that of another Texas town, the name was changed to Channing later that year.
Two - 1891 and 1906. When Channing was elected county seat in 1903, the wooden frame courthouse
of 1891 was mounted on wheels and moved from Hartley to Channing.
- 1906 Texas Rennaissance courthouse built of brick
with a 1935 addition