COUNTY ORGANIZED: 1890
COUNTY NAMED FOR: Warren D. C. Hall, Republic of Texas secretary of war.
COUNTY SEAT NAMED FOR: The townsite was platted early in January 1890. For a time the new town was without a name. Several suggestions were submitted to federal postal authorities but with negative results. Finally, as the story goes, Reverend Brice, while in Austin, happened to see a letter addressed by accident to Memphis, Texas, rather than Tennessee, with the notation "no such town in Texas." The name was submitted and accepted, and a post office was established on September 12, 1890.
Three - 1890, 1892, and 1923
STANDING: One - 1923 Texas Renaissance courthouse built of brick and concerte.