COUNTY ORGANIZED: 1856
COUNTY NAMED FOR:
James Hamilton, a South Carolina governor who invested some $216,000 in gold to finance the Texas struggle for independence from Mexico.
COUNTY SEAT NAMED FOR: Same as county
Three - 1869, 1878, and
STANDING: One -The 1886 courthouse, originally designed as a Second Empire limestone building. E. M. Mills remodeled the structure in 1931 into a Classical Revival style.
RENOVATION: Complete -
Rededication April 28, 2012.