COUNTY ORGANIZED: 1893
COUNTY NAMED FOR: George W. Glasscock, a Texas Revolution officer and Texas legislator for whom Georgetown, county seat of Williamson County, was also named.
One - New California. The original settlement called Garden City was abandoned, and New California was subsequently renamed
COUNTY SEAT NAMED FOR: After the formal organization of the county, an Ohio land company sent a Mr. Gardner to act as agent and to operate a store. A small settlement resulted in 1886 with the establishment of a post office named Garden City in his honor. Apparently it was to have been Gardner City but was misspelled by Washington officials.
Two - 1894 and 1910
STANDING: Two -
- 1894 courthouse was converted for use as a jail upon completion of the 1910 structure.
- 1910 Classical Revival courthouse is built of stone.
117 Currie Ave, Garden City, TX