COUNTY ORGANIZED: 1848
COUNTY NAMED FOR: Capt. Robert A. Gillespie, a hero of the Mexican War
COUNTY SEAT NAMED FOR: Prince Frederick of Prussia, an influential member of the Adelsverein.
Three - 1854, 1882, and 1939.
STANDING: Two -
- The 1882 Italiante limestone courthouse, which now serves as a library.
- The 1939 courthouse is a Modern design built of brick with tile accents.