Edwards County Courthouse
Rocksprings, Texas
 
 
     
 
 
 Completed - 1891
Architect - Ben Davey & Bruno Schott
Photos: Robert Deering 1/25/2004
 

COUNTY ORGANIZED: 1883

COUNTY NAMED FOR: Hayden Edwards, one of the first American settlers of Nacogdoches.

COUNTY SEATS: Three - Bullhead (renamed Vance), Leakey (now in Real County), and Rock Springs (renamed Rocksprings).

COUNTY SEAT NAMED FOR: Natural springs bubbling forth from the rocks.

COURTHOUSES: Two - Leakey 1884; Rocksprings 1891

STANDING: One - 1891 Romanesque Revival courthouse built of stone.

RENOVATION: Complete - Rededication July 5, 2014

 
 

1891 Courthouse
Photo: Texas DoT 1939
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

 


1895 Edwards County Jail
Built with a trap door in the floor of the second story that was used for hangings. 

 

Rocksprings, Texas
Photo: Robert Deering 1/25/2004

 
First Baptist Church of Rocksprings