Donley County Courthouse
Clarendon Texas
 
 
     
 
 
 Completed - 1894
Architect - Bulger & Rapp
Photos: Robert Deering 4/4/2005
 

COUNTY ORGANIZED: 1876

COUNTY NAMED FOR: Stockton P. Donley, attorney and early Texas Supreme Court Justice.

COUNTY SEATS: One - Clarendon.

COUNTY SEAT NAMED FOR: Rev. Lewis Henry Carhart, a Methodist minister, promoted the colonization of the town through a partnership with his brother-in-law, Alfred Sully, of New York. Although tradition maintains that Clarendon was named in honor of Carhart's wife, Clara, it has also been argued that the name was borrowed from Clarendon, England, to compliment British backers.

COURTHOUSES: One - 1894

STANDING: One - 1894 Romanesque Revival courthouse built of brick and stone. Due to water damage. the entire third floor and roof were removed in 1936 and replaced by a new roof, thus eleminating some of the important features of the building.  However, the building has been completely restored back to its original form. 

RENOVATION: Complete - Rededication July 4, 2003.

 
 

1894 Courthouse
With Original Roof
 

1894 Courthouse
With Modified Roof
 

1894 Courthouse Under Renovation
Photo: Robert Deering 4/14/2003