Dimmit County Courthouse
Carrizo Springs, Texas
 
 
     
 
 
 Completed - 1884
Architect - J. C. Breeding
Photos: Robert Deering 9/3/2005
 

COUNTY ORGANIZED: 1880

COUNTY NAMED FOR: Philip Dimmitt, one of the framers of the Goliad Declaration of Independence.

COUNTY SEATS: One - Carrizo Springs.

COUNTY SEAT NAMED FOR: The name of the town comes from the local springs of the same name, which were named by the Spanish for the cane grass that once grew around them.

COURTHOUSES: Two - 1880 and 1884

STANDING: One - 1884 courthouse built of stone. Originally an Italiante-style structure, the building was remodeled into a Classical Revival genere in 1927.

RENOVATION: Complete - Rededication November 18, 2004

ADDRESS:  407 W Houston Street, Carrizo Springs, Texas

 
 
 
1880 Courthouse
 
 
1884 Courthouse After 1927 Renovation
Photo: Texas DoT 1939