Comal County Courthouse
New Braunfels, Texas
 
 
     
 
 
 Completed - 1898
Architect - J. Riely Gordon
Photos: Robert Deering 6/26/2015
 

COUNTY ORGANIZED: 1846

COUNTY NAMED FOR: Comal Springs and River. Comal is Spanish for "flat dish." It is thought that the name was suggested to the Spanish by the numerous small islands in the river or by the shallow basin through which the river runs.

COUNTY SEATS: One - New Braunfels.

COUNTY SEAT NAMED FOR:  Prince Carl of Solms-Braunfels' estate on the Lahn River in western Germany.

COURTHOUSES: Two - 1860 and 1898, plus a 1985 Annex and Commisioners' Court Building.

STANDING: Three - 1898 limestone structure in Romanesque Revival style, plus two modern structures adjacent to the 1898 building. 

RENOVATION: Complete - Rededication January 22, 2013

NOTE: This building is similar to the Lee County Courthouse in Giddings.

 
 

1898 Courthouse
Photo: Texas DoT 1939
 
 
1898 Courthouse
Photo: Robert Deering 1974
 
 
 

 
           
       
1985 Courthouse Annex
 
2002 Commisioners' Court


The Square in Front of the Comal County Courthouse
Photo: Robert Deeriong 6/26/2015