Colorado County Courthouse
Columbus, Texas
 
 
     
 
 
 Completed - 1891
Architect - Eugene T. Heiner
Photos: Robert Deering 9/16/2003
 

COUNTY ORGANIZED: 1837

COUNTY NAMED FOR: The Colorado River that runs through the county.

COUNTY SEATS: One - Columbus.

COUNTY SEAT NAMED FOR: Columbus was originally known as Beeson's Ferry or Beeson's Ford, named for Benjamin Beeson, one of the original settlers, who operated a ferry across the Colorado River. In 1835 it was renamed Columbus, at the suggestion of a former resident of Columbus, Ohio.

COURTHOUSES: Four - 1836, 1847, 1855, and 1891

STANDING: One - 1891 Renaissance Revival courthouse.  The building was damaged by a tornado in 1909 and the clock tower was replaced with a copper dome. 

RENOVATION: Complete - Rededication May 17, 2014

 
 
 
1891 Courthouse
Before Modifications
 

1891 Courthouse
Photo: Texas DoT 1939