Collingsworth County Courthouse
Wellington, Texas
 
 
     
 
 
 Completed - 1931
Architect - Berry & Hatch
Photos: Robert Deering 4/14/2003
 

COUNTY ORGANIZED: 1890

COUNTY NAMED FOR: James Collinsworth, the first chief justice of the Republic of Texas, whose name was misspelled in the legislation that established the county.

COUNTY SEATS: One - Wellington.

COUNTY SEAT NAMED FOR: They named it for the duke of Wellington because a relative of the earl of Aberdeen, who was one of the owners of Rocking Chair Ranch, had been with the duke at Waterloo.

COURTHOUSES: Two - 1893 and 1931

STANDING: One - 1931 Texas Renaissance courthouse built of brick and stone.

 
 
 
1893 Courthouse
 

1931 Courthouse
Photo: ca1935