COUNTY ORGANIZED: 1846
COUNTY NAMED FOR: The county was named for the
Cherokee Indians, who lived in the area before being expelled in 1839.
COUNTY SEATS: One -
COUNTY SEAT NAMED FOR:
Gen. Thomas Jefferson Rusk, one of the signers of the Texas Declaration of Independence.
Five - 1846, 1850, 1859,
1889, and 1941.
1941 stone courthouse in Modern style constructed with WPA funds.