Chambers County Courthouse
Anahuac, Texas
 
 
     
 
 
 Completed - 1936
Architect - Cornell G. Curtis
Photos: Robert Deering 11/14/2013
 

COUNTY ORGANIZED: 1858

COUNTY NAMED FOR:  The county is named for Thomas Jefferson Chambers, the only superior judge of Texas before the revolution.

COUNTY SEATS: Two - Wallisville and Anahuac.

COUNTY SEAT NAMED FOR:  Gen. Manuel de Mier y Terán, commanding officer of the Mexican states of Coahuila and Texas, officially named the town Anahuac in January 1831, after the ancient capital of the Aztecs.

COURTHOUSES: Four - Wallisville in 1858 and 1886; Anahuac in 1912, and 1936

STANDING: One - 1936 Modern courthouse constructed with the help of WPA funds.

 
 

1886 Courthouse in Wallisville
Photo: Wallisville Heritage Park
 

1912 Courthouse in Anahuac
Photo: Wallisville Herigate Park
 

1936 Courthouse in Anahuac
Photo: Texas DoT 1939
 

1936 Courthouse
Photo: Robert Deering 1974

 
 
   
   

 

Anahuac, Texas
Photos: Robert Deering 11/14/2013

 
Thomas Jefferson Chambers Home
Circa 1845
 
First Baptist Church
 
American Legion
 
Post Office
 
U.S. Department of Acriculture
Service Center