COUNTY NAMED FOR: Peter H.
Bell, a veteran of the Battle of San Jacinto and the Mexican War. He also became a Texas Ranger, governor, congressional representative, and later a Colonel in the Confederacy.
One - Belton
(originally named Nolanville)
COUNTY SEAT NAMED FOR:
The county seat is most likely a contraction of Bell and town.
COURTHOUSES: Three - 1851, 1858, and 1884.
STANDING: One -1884 sandstone structure in Renaissance Revival style. The building has been altered, remodeled
(including the removal of the clock tower),
and finally restored over the years.