Angelina County Courthouse
Lufkin, Texas
 
 
     
 
 
 Completed - 1955
Architect - Wilber Kent
Photos: Robert Deering 2/1/2009
 

COUNTY ORGANIZED: 1846

COUNTY NAMED FOR: Angelina is Spanish for "Little Angel." The county was named for a young Indian girl who eagerly embraced the faith of Franciscan missionaries.

COUNTY SEATS: Four - Marion, Jonesville, Homer (Angelina), and Lufkin.

COUNTY SEAT NAMED FOR:  E. P. Lufkin, a railroad engineer.

COURTHOUSES: Six - Marion in 1847 and 1849; Homer in 1873; Lufkin in 1892, 1903, and 1955. Although Jonesville was the county seat from 1854-1858, public buildings were not built, only rented.

STANDING: One - 1955 brick and limestone courthouse in Modern style.

LOCATION:  215 East Lufkin Avenue, Lufkin, TX

 
 
 
1903 Courthouse
 
 
1955 Courthouse
Photo:
Robert Deering 1974