Pottawatomie County Courthouse
Shawnee, Oklahoma
 
 
     
 
 
 Completed - 1935
Architect - David, Davis, & Davis
Photos: Robert Deering 4/16/2003
 
 

1897 Courthouse in Tecumseh 
 
 
1935 Courthouse in Shawnee
 

COUNTY ORGANIZED: 1891 as "County B" in Oklahoma Territory.  In 1892 voters approved the name change to Pottawatomie.  

COUNTY NAMED FOR: 
The Pottaeatomie Indians.

COUNTY SEATS:  Two - Initially, Tecumseh served as the county seat.  However, in 1930, Shawnee, now bigger in size than Tecumseh, was approved by the voters to become the new county seat. 


COUNTY SEAT NAMED FOR: The Shawnee Indians.

COURTHOUSES: Two - 1897 in Tecumseh and 1935 in Shawnee. 

STANDING:
 1935 Art Deco courthouse

ADDRESS:  325 N Broadway, Shawnee, Oklahoma