Nowata County Courthouse
Nowata, Oklahoma
 
 
     
 
 
 Completed - 1911
Architect - J. W. Roberts 
Photos: Robert Deering 4/22/2006
 
 
 
1907 Courthouse
 
 
1911 Courthouse
 

COUNTY ORGANIZED: 1907

COUNTY NAMED FOR: 
Took its name from the designated county seat.

COUNTY SEAT NAMED FOR: Derived from the Delaware Indian word no-we-ata, meaning "welcome."

COURTHOUSES: 
Following statehood in 1907, the third floor of the First National Bank building was used by the Nowata County courts.  This building was destroyed by fire in 1909 along with all county records up to that time.  A small building on West Davis Street was used for county court until the new courthouse was completed in 1911. 

STANDING:
1911 Classical Revival Courthouse

ADDRESS:  229 N Maple, Nowata, Oklahoma