Jackson County Courthouse
Altus, Oklahoma
 
 
     
 
 
 Completed - 1910
Architect - C. E. Hair
Photos: Robert Deering 4/2/2005
 
 
 
1910 Courthouse
Before Modifications
 
 
 

COUNTY ORGANIZED: 1907 from a portion of Greer County, Oklahoma Territory

COUNTY NAMED FOR: 
Confederate soldier Major General Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson.

COUNTY SEAT NAMED FOR: The name comes from the Latin word meaning "high." The original town, Frazier, was built in a low area, and when it was destroyed by high water the residents moved the town site to a higher elevation.

COURTHOUSES:

STANDING:
 1910 Courthouse.  The original dome was removed around 1927. 

ADDRESS:  101 N Main Street, Altus, Oklahoma

 

Altus, Oklahoma
Photos: Robert Deering 4/2/2005


First Baptist Church of Altus