Greer County Courthouse
Mangum, Oklahoma
 
 
     
 
 
 Completed - 1906
Architect - S. A. Layton
Photos: Robert Deering 4/2/2005
 
 
 
1906 Courthouse
Before Modifications
 
 
 

COUNTY ORGANIZED: Due to an error by the surveyor for the region, the southwest corner of Oklahoma was at one time claimed by Texas.  During this period Greer County, Texas was created in 1860, but it remained unorganized until 1886.   In 1896 the U.S. Supreme Court ruled on the jusidiction claim and returned Greer County to Oklahoma Territory.  When Oklahoma became a state in 1907, Harmon, Jackson, and part of Beckham counties were split off of the original Greer County territory.

COUNTY NAMED FOR: 
John Alexander Greer, a Texas lieutenant governor.

COUNTY SEAT NAMED FOR: Captain Aaron S. Mangum, a veteran of the Texas War of Independence.

COURTHOUSES: At least two - The first courthouse was completed in March 1888 and destroyed by a wind storm in August of the same year. Another courthouse was completed in 1906.

STANDING:
 1906 couthouse made of brick. The building originally had a central dome.

ADDRESS:  160 S Oklahoma, Mangum, Oklahoma